Wednesday, June 08, 2022

Whole Wheat Molasses Date Yeast Bread. 6.8.22

 Today I celebrated the filing-of-the-propane-tank (at DOUBLE the cost two years ago OMG not LOL) by baking bread and cookies.  I used the recipe for white sandwich bread, and made the following substitutions:

The white sandwich bread called for 3 cups of bread flour.  That is too much so I have reduced by 1/4 cup.  This time, I substituted 1 cup of whole wheat flour for 1 cup of white bread flour.  So this one had 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 3/4 cups unbleached white bread flour.

I also substituted 2 tbsp dark molasses for the 2 tbsp sugar.

I used canola instead of butter, avoiding some animal fats.   Added 1/2 tsp butter extract for flavor,

I also did a space cadet thing and used 1/2 cup each milk and water, but the water should have been 3/4 cup.  I don't think it mattered much, because I try to knead for consistency and not just measure.  Plus, the molasses added some moisture.

Then I added about 1/3 cup chunks of Medjul dates.  I added those after the mixer kneading step, flattened out the dough, spread half of the dates, rolled it up, spread out the other half, then rolled it up and kneaded a couple more times.

Other than those changes, it's almost the same as the King Alfred White Sandwich Loaf recipe LOL.

I think the second rise was a little too much - it fell a little while baking.  It was an hour rise, but maybe 50 min would be better (or I judged height of risen loaf based on expectation with a little more dough due to the liquids issue).  Even so, this was quite a tasty loaf, moist, great texture.  Really nice, and with a little tweaking will probably be even better. 




No comments:

Post a Comment