Saturday, June 04, 2022

Planting Sweetcorn And Zinnias. Sweetcorn Update. 6.4.22

 Today I cleared two of the last three seed bed areas.    Not ideal weather, drizzle and rain.  But it's now or never.  I worked from the sides, turning over the soil, smoothed with garden rake, and planted seeds.


The first batch of sweetcorn is growing.  That was Orchard Baby.  Something is pulling up some of the corn plants, despite fencing.  My guess is birds.



Tomorrow I'll put a net over the seedlings.  I didn't think of that until now.

Edit:  The adage for planting grains and beans, is "Four seeds in a row, one for the rook, one for the crow, one will wither and one will grow."  A rook is a bird similar to a crow.  I've also seen "Four seeds in a row, one for the mouse, one for the crow, one will wither and one will grow. I decided to go out and put down a net after all.  Who knows, tomorrow the plants may all be gone, and whose fault would that be if I don't protect them?  Mine!


No comments:

Post a Comment