Monday, December 06, 2021

Soil pH. 16.6.21

I want to check the pH of garden soil before I do anything that might change it. As it is, the existing raised bed soils have been very successful and productive. Of course, I want the soil to stay healthy for the long term, and replace minerals that the plants might remove and that might leach out from watering. I also want to add biochar for long term soil carbon and drainage, and that might raise the pH. How much is an unknown quantity. I bought a paper strip based soil pH testing kit. Here is the prelim result for one sample from a raised bed whose top layer of soil grew garlic and beans in 2021 and the majority of that soil was from a source that screens yard soils that are brought in to their facility.
My guess is this is read as closest to pH 5.0. Then again, that might be the shadow, and maybe it's much higher. Maybe the bottom row is reading 7.0. This is confusing. Maybe I'll try a different test.

No comments:

Post a Comment