Monday, December 13, 2021

A Flannel Doggie Jacket For Rufus. 12.13.2021

This jacket started as a small, heavy, flannel shirt. Several years ago, I re-sized it and cut it back to make a jacket for my dog Charlie. He is no longer wit us, and Rufus is much shorter stature but as big a body. I decided to modify the jacket to suit Rufus. Then he can stay more dry on long walks in drizzle.
The pockets don't serve a purpose and the sleeves hang too low and too awkward for Rufus to walk comfortably. The coat is too long for him. I made a pattern.
I removed the sleeves, cut the sides below the sleeves and extended them to the front.
Then I cut the shirt to fit the pattern. Instead of hemming the flannel, I sewed on bias tape. I used extra fabric to make a belt. I used velcro to fasten the belt, and fasten the collar. All pretty easy. He didn't like the shirt tail touching his tail, so I re-sized it a little more so he wouldn't mind wearing it.
I thought this came out pretty good. It would probably be easier to just use a flat piece of flannel, maybe a double layer. The placket looks a bit awkward but that doesn't seem to doesn't affect him.

No comments:

Post a Comment