Friday, December 17, 2021

Nematocidal Mustard Winter Ground Cover. 12.17.21

I think it's very, very late to be planting a ground cover. However, if the ground is turned over, weeds will sprout and grow thickly before I need thw garden bed in May or June. I think mustard might be as hardy as any weeds, and might either germinate soon and survive fhe winfer, or ferminate afte the coldest weather before I can work the soil again. So I took a chance. This mustard variety is used by potato farmers as a green manure cover crop, because it kills nematodes better than nematocide chemicals.
I used a garden claw to roughen up the soil a bit. It didn't need tilling or digging. this area has been sweet corn for two growing seasons, so I will grow squash here next year. The leaf covered area needed more enrichment, so it has a thick blanket of leaves that will be turned in next Spring.
It was nice to get out into the garden today. This chore was a bonus - I didn't plan on doing it, and I'm curious to see if/how well the mustard seeds grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment