Friday, December 17, 2021

A Doggie Raincoat For Rufus. 12.17.21

The last rain coat kept slipping sideways. The inside of the vinyl is quite slippery. I keep meaning to make one with a much less slippery lining and now I did. The raincoat vinyl was a large human raincoat that I bought two or three years ago at BiMart for $4. If necessary, it has enough remaining for a third rain coat, maybe more. That contrasts to Joann's which had the actual fabric for something like $17 a yard. I forget how much but it surprised me. Might have been more. The corduroy shirt was at thrift shirt for half price, so $3.50. Again, to buy the fabric itself would cost many times that. My goal was less than $10 for the rain coat and we much more than met that. I priced them in the past at the pet store at $35 and more, and they never fit him. He has a big chest for his stubby legs, skinny belly and short body. This one fits him perfectly. Before making.
After, inside.
After, outside.
The black rectangles are Velcro. It works great except when wet, then is comes open. It's a raincoat so it gets wet. I will replace it with snaps. I hope those do better. I already had the yellow polyester bias tape edging and the velcro, somdid not include that in the cost. Also, I used a washable spray adhesive to hold it together without pins. I already had that too. I rough cut it, sprayed, bonded together, trimmed for nice edges before sewing on the bias tape fabric.
Rufus doesn't mind wearing it at all. It does the required function of keeping most of him dry. I doubt he would allow a hood, but I may try later. My initial thought was to use flannel, which I think would have worked fine but I could not find any that met my cost constraints. I was actually leaving the store when I saw the corduroy shirt that someone had cast aside in the wrong aisle. I think that probably works even better than flannel. There was a lot left over, and I'm sure it will go into other projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment