Sunday, September 19, 2021

First Rain since June 3.5". Freezing Sweetcorn. Canning Pears. 9.19.2021.

Today was the first rain since June. We measured 3.5 inches. I think it was needed. I picked more pears. I didn't plan to can more, but did after all. It took about 7 pounds for 4 one-pint jars. I ran out of commercial fruit-fresh and there was none in the store. With Covid Im only going to the store every other week, so I ordered vitamin C tablets and citric acid on Amazon. from what I read, 6 500-mg vitamin C tablets, crushed and dissolved jn one gallon of water, will prevent browning. So I used that, adjusted for just 4 cups. There was no browning. I also added 1/4 tsp citric acid to each jar, per an online recipe. Canned per Better Homes and Gardens Canning Guide recipe. I'm getting better at it.
I also harvested most of the rest of the sweetcorn, and blanched and froze 7 ears. Drop into boiling water, boil three minutes, transfer to ice water, chill, slice planks of kernels off the ear and freeze in freezer bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment