Friday, September 10, 2021

Canning Tomato Sauce, Grape Jelly, Pears. 9.10.2021

 I learned that home grown fruit isn't solely for fresh use.  Freezing is great, still home grown flavor and quality.  No comparison to grocery.  But freezing takes up too much freezer space, so it needs to be limited.

The jellies are also better than store bought.  I think even when sugar is needed, it's better in flavor and healthier than the damn high fructose corn syrup.  Plus the tree or vine ripened fruit is more flavor, and not fertilizing and watering too much also helps.

I made jelly from "Venus" grapes. Easier than expected.  I used the "low sugar" pectin.  




Using extra grapes, but leaving out the sugar, pectin, and canning step, makes for a very "grapey" flavored grape juice. So that is more benefit and less waste. I did this a few days ago. Canned pears, also last week. I made 7 pints. That's about what I buy for 7 weeks, so not too bad. Plus the same amount of peaches.
Last night I canned 4 and 1/2 pints of Roma tomato sauce. No spices or garlic, I add those when I use it. Per USDA recommendation, each pint has 1 tbsp lemon juice as a preservative. Also, they recommend pressure canning instead of boiling water canning for better quality and nutrition for tomato products, so I did. If the 1/2 pint jar is good on tonight's pizza, I can can some more. I'm not sure if that lemon juice will impact the flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment