Thursday, May 14, 2020

Some Efforts to Warm The Soil a Little. 5.14.2020

Soil temp is running about 58 to 60 this am.  I found some "Wall-o-water"-type cover   systems that I bought last year at Bi-mart but never used.  A long time ago, I used these to give tomatoes a head start. 

Since I have two "Bodaceous" and two "Better Boy" plants, I set up a water cover for one each of those.  There was one to spare, so I set that up on the "Early Girl Bush" tomato.

Today it's been raining all day.  After about 8 hours, the soil temp is only 62 in these units, but give them some sun and I imagine they will warm up better

After a week or two, we can see if the covered tomato plants are bigger than the uncovered ones of the same type.


For the raised bed with peppers, I added "Quonset hut" made from fencing, and topped that with clear polyethylene painter's dropcloth.  The Quonset looks like this, which is on some tomatoes.  An additional package of the polyethylene painter's dropcloth should come today via Amazon, in which case those tomatoes will also get a warming cover.


Here is the set-up on the peppers, in a raised bed.  Also, in front of that raised bed is a planted row of Lima bean seeds that I soaked last night.  I'm sure they also need some warmth.


No comments:

Post a Comment