Saturday, May 23, 2020

Planting Sweet Corn. Germinating Sweet Corn. 5.23.2020

Most years, my rule of thumb is to plant sweetcorn starting on May 15.  This year I started about a week sooner - check prior post for actual date.  That batch was Bilicious, an SE type.  I always grow SE sweet corn.

Then it was chilly and rainy for the past approx two weeks.  Most days in 50s and 60s, nights in 40s and 50s.  I wondered if the seeds would germinate, but most of them did. These were 1/2 new seeds, and 1/2 one-year-old seeds.  I think the majority of them germinated.

I cover with 1 inch square plastic mesh, so birds don't eat the seeds.  Then I switch to low fencing tunnels, so rabbits and deer don't eat the tender young plants.  When they grow out of the fencing tunnels, they usually don't get eaten.

Today I planted "Ruby Queen", from Burpee.  These are red kernel sweet corn.  I imagine the flavor is about the same as the yellow, but since there is a difference between yellow and white, who knows?  Ruby Queen is also SE.
Germinating Sweet Corn Plants.  5.23.2020

No comments:

Post a Comment