Monday, May 11, 2020

Growing Oak Trees from Acorns. Oak Seedlings. 5.11.2020

Last fall / winter I collected acorns while out walking Rufus, or when at the clinic at Salmon creek.  Those were majestic white oak trees, and some handsome red oaks.  I stratified the acorns by planting in large flower pots, multiple acorns per flower pot.  I covered them with chicken wire and a weight, to keep squirrels out.

Here are two of the containers now.  I don't know what I'll do with all of the oak trees.  I think I should keep at least three of the white oak and two of the red.  They can fill in spots in my orchard, where fruit trees have died.  Most fruit trees live a decade or two at most, so these oaks will be there long after the fruit trees are gone.  And long after I am gone.  They are all looking nice.

From what I read, white oaks grow one to two feet per year, and red oaks about twice as fast.  I'll never live long enough to see these become massive trees.  They are planted for a future generation.  As deciduous trees, I think they should be less susceptible to the fires that have begun to sweep areas of the Pacific Northwest.  Oaks develop deep roots, so are drought tolerant.  They sequester lots of carbon.


No comments:

Post a Comment