Thursday, March 16, 2023

Red Star Quilt, So Far. 3.16.22

 Haven't been posting much.  Will need to work on that.

Meanwhile, here is the red star quilt, so far.


I have mixed thoughts about this one.  I like the general concept very much.  It was a challenge, finding thrift store shirts that were right for making a quilt like this.  Then again, buying new fabric, I don't always find what I want either.  I like the idea of up-cycling fabric, when I can.  But there are limitations with that, especially colors and patterns.

Much of the sides and corners, is my own design.  The original pattern had large sections that were one fabric, except the red stars. I made it much more pieced together and added the grey half-stars as well.

I'm curious about how the same pattern would work, with rainbow or other color combination in batiks.  After so much sort of monochrome, I want to use some brilliant, saturated colors in the next quilt(s).

Meanwhile, I'm working on the backing.  I want to use up as much of the left over fabric stash as I can, so I'm not using a purpose-bought fabric for backing.  As a backing, it can be pretty plain.  I'm using the grey and white fabrics, cut into 9 inch squares.  There weren't enough big pieces, so I cut some into triangles.  Here is part of the backing.  It should go together fairly quickly now.







No comments:

Post a Comment