Sunday, March 26, 2023

Red Star Quilt. 3.26.23

 I bought fabric for backing, but it had a cream color that I did not detect in the internet image.  I don't think that goes with the colors in this quilt.  Also, my bag of fabric scraps is too big, so I used a majot part of it to make this quilt backing.


The squares ate big, to reduce the number of places where the needle has to go through multiple layers when I'm quilting it.  This view is the back side, to show the seams.

Then I layered the backing with batting and the quilt top, and safety pinned it together.



I don't like the basting spray, the solvent is so strong, it smells like an auto body repair shop and it doesn't work that well for me anyway.


I like this quilt pattern enough that I decided to do a second take on it, this time with deeply intense batik fabric and cream colored backgrounds.  Here is the start of that idea.  It will take a few months to make, but easier than using upcycled shirt fabrics.  A lot of the pieces are from precut jelly rolls, and some from extra blocks from a prior batik quilt, or some fabric in my fabric bin.  The diamonds are 2.5 inches on a side, which is also the width of the jelly roll strips.   The squares that become hald square triangles are also 2.5 inches.  So the only parts that can't cone from jelly rolls, are the big background triangles.






No comments:

Post a Comment