Monday, February 13, 2023

Red Star Quilt. Update. 2.13.23

 So far, so good.  The pattern is starting to emerge from the small pieces of fabric.

I made more than 220 2 1/2 inch square half square triangles, then kept in sandwich bags to keep track of which was which.  Each bag contained 8 each of the red triangle with one of three white or grey pattern fabric triangles.  Then I sewed them into strips of various configurations, for the sides of triangles that make the big star.  I also cut the diamonds, which become points of 8-point diamond stars.  For the Condor theme Nazca line them print, I tried to place a condor in the center of each diamond.





The original pattern has some fairly large expanses of un-pieced fabric.  I'd like for my quilt to have a more pieced look on the sides, but not detract from the rich red shade stars.  I got out some shirt collars and cuffs that went into previous quilts.  The diamonds are two inches wide, about the same as the shirt collars.  I removed stitches from the seams, to give the diamonds a 1/4 inch seam allowance on each side, and ironed them flat.  This was just BARELY enough, but I think they will look nice, when assembled.



I did the same with some shirt cuffs.  Same idea, but they are a bit easier.  This is all that remains from those shirts, after using the fabric in various quilt projects.  The cuff had a fused interfacing on one side, which I did not want.  Fortunately, the collar interfacing was not fused, and there were two cuffs, so enough fabric for four diamonds with no interfacing.


I think these will look nice on the quilt sides, breaking up the expanse of back ground fabric without detracting from the red stars.






No comments:

Post a Comment