Thursday, August 20, 2020

Four O'Clocks. 8.20.2020

 When I first started growing Four O'Clocks, I thought they might be difficult to grow.  I planted the seeds inside, coddled them, transplanted, gave them TLC.  Now, having grown them for many years, I usually just plant the seeds directly in the garden.  This year I didn't even try.  Within the vegetable garden are volunteers that grew from volunteers that grew from  volunteers.  I transplanted some, left some where they were.  They turned out very nice.

I don't think I ever bought or planted pink 4 O'clocks, but here they are.  

These red ones are a very rich color, quite lovely.

I think I planted this yellow one in front of the house a few years ago.  It comes up every year.

Honeybees generally stay away from 4 O'clocks, but there can be exceptions.  It's possible that the flowers bloom before the bees are active, and close up too early.

This year I want to save seeds separately for each color.  They are all nice, and have an antique feel to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment