Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Chestnut Graft. 7.28.2020

Late last winter I grafted chestnut varieties onto branches of the Marissard seedling chestnut tree. The reason is that tree is about 15 feet tall and still not blooming. They all appeared to take, but when I unwrapped one of the Marigoule grafts, it fell off. So that one appeared noncompatible. This Marivale graft looked OK and continues to look good. These were all whip and tongue grafts.

This tree is upwind of the others.  I want it to at least produce some pollen for those trees.  Marissard is not considered a pollen producer, although it's hard to know what a seedling would do.  If I had it to do over again, I would not have used that variety or a seedling, but I don't have it to do over again.  So attempting grafts is the next best thing to try.

Maravale Graft on Marissard Seedling Chestnut Tree. 7.28.2020

Maravale Graft on Marissard Seedling Chestnut Tree. 7.28.2020

No comments:

Post a Comment