Saturday, July 04, 2020

Apple Grafts. Progress Report. 7.4.2020

These are the apple varieties that I grafted onto either Bud-9 or Geneva-222 highly dwarfing rootstocks.  Most are on Bud-9 but I tried to use Geneva 222 on ones that I thought might have too little vigor.  On taking of the tape, there was slight constriction of stem girth but not severe, and not girdling.  Going by memory, which isn't perfect, here is a list.

Here are the varieties that took and grew quickly:
Jonagold - most vigorous. (Bud-9)
Jonared - less vigorous (Geneva-222)
Gravenstein -less vigorous (that was a surprise) (Bud-9)
Winter Banana - very vigorous (Bud-9)
Black Oxford - very vigorous (Bud-9)
Macoun - somewhat vigorous (Bud-9)
Beni Shogun Fuji - less vigorous (Geneva-222)
Porter - quite vigorous. (Bud-9)

I tried a tiny graft of Pristine on Geneva-222.  This was the only cleft graft.  The growth was vigorous, but when I removed the binding tape, the graft broke off.

I tried a pear on Winter Banana intergraft on Bud-9.  That grew a little but died.
I tried pears on Amelanchier.  Those failed.
I tried pear on Chinese haw - that appears to have taken and is growing somewhat vigorously.

Apple Grafts on BUD-9 or Geneva 222.  7.2.2020

Healing Whip and Tongue graft on Bud-9.   7.4.2020

Healing whip and tongue graft, apple on Bud-9.  7.4.2020

Apple grafts on Bud-9 and Geneva 222.   7.4.2020

No comments:

Post a Comment