Tuesday, June 05, 2018

Illinois Everbearing Mulberry Tree Update. 6.5.18

 I originally planted this Illinois Everbearing Mulberry tree in my yard in Vancouver, WA,  as a mail order bare root tree, 3.18.2010.  In summer 2012, I dug it up and moved it to my new place in Battleground, WA.

This tree is one of my top 10 favorite orchard trees, now.  It bears prolific numbers of mulberries which are delicious, outstanding flavor and texture.  They ripen over about a month's time.  Despite many articles stating that birds love these mulberries, there are always many for me.

The leaves of this tree are a pale green.  Many times, people have commented that this tree must need some nitrogen.  If so, I am happy with the fruit bearing and size now, and don't want to over-fertilize it.  I think it's just a pale green leaf tree, however, and there is nothing wrong with it.

As happened last year and the year before, the branches are covered with the start of another excellent mulberry crop.
Illinois Everbearing Mulberry when planted, far right, 3.18.2010

1 comment:

  1. Do mulberry branches root easily? I would like to try mulberries in my yard. I have a row of filberts that I might cut down because all I do is feed squirrels and get nothing for myself.

    ReplyDelete