Sunday, October 19, 2014

Varmints already chewing. Tree protection 10.19.14

Chewing damage.  Asian Pear.  10.20.14

Hardware Cloth Tree Protection.  10.20.14
 This is the first time I've seen chewing damage at the base of pear trees.    I suspect voles.  Could be rabbit.  Deer don't chew so low.  Fortunately it doesn't surround the tree, and pears heal quickly. 

This protection is a central part of winterizing.

I've learned it's just best to have a roll of hardware cloth on hand, and some zip ties.

The  zip ties make it very easy to put on a sleeve without a helper.  When it's time to remove the sleeve, the zip tie is easily cut with a scissors.  The extra tail can be trimmed off if the appearance is an issue.

The pear now has a protective sleeve of hardware cloth.  Usually I have more overlap where it joins, just didn't here.  I don't think the varmint will squeeze through the seam, anyway.

I try to make the sleeve loose enough for several years of growth.  That way I don't have to put it on every fall.

There are hardware cloth sleeves on, probably, most of my young trees.

I don't think the mesh size is too important.  I've used 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch.

It's time to get them protected.  Tender fig bark is a critter favorite.  Apparently they like Asian Pear bark. 




5 comments:

  1. Monkey see monkey do. I'll also use wire netting sleeves for my lemon tree. The little tree was strip of its bark last winter. I suspect mice. I think your bark was done by voles. What can you do? I just deal with all the possums/coons everyday there's no high or low season with those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b499/lancegreen1/DSCF0693_zps2c8e8c17.jpg
    a little harvest photo
    http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b499/lancegreen1/DSCF1026_zpsbad0ed32.jpg
    gone fishing in Baton Rouge
    http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b499/lancegreen1/DSCF1031_zps5f801dcd.jpg
    I grew up in the swamp full of catfish, bass, eel, turtle, this fresh water catfish is small. http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b499/lancegreen1/DSCF1025_zpsfbb41061.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was voles too. SO FAR, when I'm diligent with hardware cloth, they have not chewed my little trees. I used to use 1/2 inch, then I read 1/4 inch is better. Maybe either is OK.

    Will check your pics next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, great photos! Great harvest!

    I grew up, upriver from you on the Mississippi near Hannibal MO but on the other side in IL. Before the river was channeled and levees raised so high, there were lots of sloughs - the northern version of swamps. We fished for cat, crappie, sunfish, and trout. Long time ago... simpler life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crappie is called " Sac a lait"in LA the best eating fish. So you know a person can fish and live off the land and never be bore with the fishing. Lots of friends sitting by the swampy river and bring home the fishes for Mom to cook it up that was all about my childhood.
    http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b499/lancegreen1/IMG_1114_zpsec2fe6c8.jpg
    http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b499/lancegreen1/IMG_1116_zps01aa126a.jpg

    the catch of this trip

    ReplyDelete