Monday, October 21, 2024

Second Garlic Bed Completed. 21 Oct 24.

 I think the timing is similar to previous years.  This is a bit more garlic than usual, all the Music variety. Music consistently produces by far the largest cloves / bulbs for me, with strong spicy flavor.  The cloves peel easily once dried, and keep almost a year after harvest in my garden.

This time planting where I had peppers.  The enclosed 25 gallon fabric containers that acts as a 4 x 8 foot bed.  

All planted.  Not much to look at.  I took out the top approx 5 inches of soil, added chicken bone meal, crushed eggshells, and organic vegetable fertilizer to the soil underneath, mixing it in  Then set 7 or 8 garlic cloves in place and buried by replacing the soil.  This compares to about a 4 foot row in the regular raised beds, with 8 rows.  So about the same number planted  per bed.  The garlic cloves are about 4 inches deep.  I forgot the bone meal for the first crop, so that can be a comparison.


Fortunately I was able to collect enough maple leaves to cover them all.  


Now the main over-wintering crop is settled in for the season.  The sole remaining task for these will be to repair and re-set the drip irrigation loops before dry season next summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment