Thursday, October 17, 2024

First Garlic Planting. 17 Oct 24.

 I finished planting the first raised bed of garlic.  This year, I'm solely planting the Music variety, bulbs that I set aside to keep from the July harvest.  These are reliably the best harvest for me, most flavorful cloves, the biggest, and are easy to peal.

Same as previous years.  This bed contained the fresh-eating tomato crop this year.  I had already cleaned it up and mixed in crushed eggshells.

I made trenches about 4 or 5 inches deep, added organic fertilizer to the bottoms of the holes, cultivated that in, and placed the cloves in the trenches.


Then I filled in with the soil, and smoothed with garden rake.  I mark each row with a bamboo rod.


Then I raked red maple leaves and mulched the raised bed.  This is how I do it each year, and I always get a good crop.


The drip irrigation lines will need re-installing.   Not urgent.  The urgent jobs will be to harvest the remaining green beans, and to clear the second raised bed to plant more garlic.

No comments:

Post a Comment