Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Tomato Pie. 8.31.21

 I made a tomato pie.  The original recipe was from a "Cast Iron Skillet Classics" recipe magazine, but I made a lot of changes.  Recipe is below, how I made it.


Prepare  a crust for 1 crust pie.  I like to blind bake the pie crust.  I use the butter flavor crisco recipe on package.  For one crust pie, I do half- recipe but increase everything by 25% so I can use larger pie plate.  Also, I put 1/4 cup pastry flour into the measuring cup before adding the all purpose flour.  That makes it more flaky.  The original recipe did not blind bake, so either way should work.


I blind baked the crust at 375 F while the tomatoes are resting on the paper towels. (this takes some planning and is a separate recipe).  I don't let the crust cool, rather I start assembling the pie while the crust is still hot out of the oven.  To blind bake, I first refrigerated the crust 30 min, poked lots of holes using a fork, lined with foil and placed pie weights on the foil.  After baking 20 min, I removed the foil and pie weights and baked 5 more minutes.


I used a mixture of slicing tomatoes and sauce tomatoes, which are meatier.


2 1/2 pounds tomatoes sliced 1/4 inch thick

2 teaspoons salt

1 cup grated gruyere cheese (what I found this time at store was a blend with cheddar).

1 cup grated Pepper Jack cheese

3/4 cup mayonnaise

1 large egg, lightly beaten

1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 cup chopped onion.


Place tomato slices on paper towels.  Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the salt.  Let them sit 30 min.  The salt draws out a lot of the water.  I also lightly pressed some paper towel on top of the tomatoes to wick out more water.


In a bowl, stir together the egg, mayo, cheeses, Italian herbs, the other tsp of salt, pepper.


Sprinkle the onions across the bottom.  Add 1/3 of cheese mixture.  Layer with 1/2 of the tomatoes.  Spread on second 1/3 of cheese mixture.  Layer with remainder of tomatoes, then spread on the rest of the cheese.  "Spread" is a hopeful term - more like gently mush it around but don't worry about spreading evenly.


Cover the crust edges with aluminum foil so they don't burn.  Bake the pie at 375 for 50 min.  I actually check at 45 min and then every 5 min until it looks set.


I like to blend ceasar or garlic butter croutons to make bread crumbs, mix about 2 tbsp of those with 2 tbsp parmesan cheese, sprinkle on top of the pie and bake 5 more minutes.


I think this pie is even better the next day, cold.   

No comments:

Post a Comment