Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Saving Tomato Seeds. 8.17.2021

 As the tomato season peaks, I want to be sure to save seeds from the varieties that I like.  I don't need a lot.  So far, I'm saving Extreme Bush, BrandyFred, Volunteer Yellow Cherry F3 generation, Golden King of Siberia, Classic Beefsteak, and Ukraine Purple.

After slicing the tomato, I use a spoon or butter knife to pick a dozen or so seeds from the flesh.  Then I place them into a labeled glass gar with about 1/2 cup of water, cover with a paper towel held in place by a rubber band.  Then I eat the tomato.



Then I let them ferment for two or three days. The fermentation reduces disease and germination inhibitors in the seed coat.

Then I rinse the seeds in a seive and place them onto a labeled paper coffee filter to dry.

After a few days to dry, I'll place these into envelopes and store in the pantry until time to plant them next Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment