Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Early Sunglow Hybrid Sweetcorn. 8.11.2021.

I was prepared to not like this variety. It took a little longer than Trinity, both planted May 9. So first harvest was about 90 days. Park's Seeds markets this one at 62 days, but that's doubtless in a much warmer climate than here. Early Sunglow is a "Regular Sweet" (SU) type, an older type that is not "Super Sweet". I think the "Super Sweet" types are mushy and just taste like sugar, not corn. The third type, "se+" or sugary enhanced, is good (See post on "Trinity"). I think I bought the seeds from Burpee, but I'm fed up with them for the following reasons - on the sweetcorn, they dont list days to harvest; they don't list the type of hybrid; they add cookies to your computer; last year I bought their "Bodaceous" tomato variety and it tasted like cardboard. 

 Actually, I discovered I like Early Sunglow better than Trinity. It has a more "corn" flavor and is still nice and sweet when harvested fresh. These ears are not as deeply yellow as the catalog pictures. Maybe they need more time to fully ripen, ot the photos are "enhanced", or it's my climate. Whatever, these are quite good. Also in the photo - Serrano and JalapeƱo peppers, an "Alibi" cucumber, Golden Queen of Siberia heirloom tomato, and various cherry tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment