Saturday, October 31, 2020

Tiny Baby Garlic Plants From Bulbils. 10.31.2020

 This year I let a few of the Musik garlic plants develop "seed heads".  "Seed" is in quotes because it's not seeds, but tiny garlic bulbs (bulbils) that form at the top.  I planted those at the same time as the garlic plants, a few weeks ago.

Yesterday I saw the tiny plants emerging.  I didn't know if they would grow at all.  These were really tiny.  It will be interesting to see if they survive the winter.  The purpose is to grow a reserve of bulbs to plant next fall.  That way I am less dependent on preserving so many full size bulbs in the summer.  They generally take two or three years to reach full size.  


If they all grow, there should be 50 to 100 of them.  A cold winter is predicted.  I don't know what to expect as far as survival.  This is where I get to learn.

It's interesting that these are ahead of most of the full size garlic cloves that I planted.  Most of those are still under ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment