Thursday, October 15, 2020

Installing Home-Made Shed Doors. 10.15.2020

 This project is almost done.  The shed needs some clean up and painting, and a garden tool rack.  The biggest job was getting myself in gear to make and install a new set of doors.

I posted earlier about how I made the doors.  I cut them from an available sheet of siding, with 1 x 4 lumber cut to make supporting framing and trim.  Then glued them on, with drywall screws, screwed in from the inside aspect while the glue was wet.  Grout and paint.  

The shed turned out to be leaning, which I can't fix.  I installed the doors level, which meant some creative door hanging.  It came out OK.   It's also not in great condition - it was sat on the bare ground who knows how many years ago.  There is dry rot.  Still, it's a shed, not a house.  Getting it working for a couple of years would be OK. 

Here is how it looks now, with the doors and trim installed and the trim grouted. 


That turned out pretty good.  I saved the 2 x 4 framing from the old door, to make a tool rack.  The rest is falling apart, so the boards go to the wood pile and the siding goes to the trash.

For comparison, here was the shed a few days ago.



If there's another warm sunny day, I can scrape and paint. Otherwise, that part will await Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment