Thursday, March 15, 2018

Plum Bloom Times. 3.15.18


Sweet Treat Pluerry.  3.15.18
It's hard to find overlapping bloom times for fruit trees. Many of the plums and hybrid plums need a pollenizer, but that only helps if they bloom at the same time.  In addition, for areas with late frosts, it's better to plant cultivars that have later bloom times.

So far this year, the following are in bloom at the same time.  These are early bloomers:  Sweet Treat Pluerry (hybrid plum / cherry with some peach and apricot in its ancestry), Crimson Spire ornamental plum (small but flavorful fruits), Hollywood plum, and Shiro plum.  My multigraft is blooming too, but I don't know the main variety - I think it's a pluot.  Methley plum is not quite open now.  Nadia Cherry/Plum is also on the verge, with a few blossoms open.

I removed some blooming twigs from Hollywood and Crimson Spire, and placed them into the branches of Sweet Treat, to improve the chances of pollination.  There are no honeybees around now,  but there are lots of tiny pollinating insects within the tree.  Since they don't appear to fly from tree to tree, I added those branches to improve the chances of good pollination.

1 comment:

  1. Your plum grafting is infectious. I too got a shiro grafted. Last yr was the first time that I sucesstully grafted plum which I thought was impossible becaue of my tongue and grove was horrible. Now I just stick with the cleft but with more procisions and a steadier hand I can make better cuts. I learn to be selective on which thickness and where to cut. For some strange reason last yr all I got was yellow color plums to take and the best one is the "golden nector" Still there's another moutain to climb: peach. So far no peach graft have taken yet.

    ReplyDelete