Friday, March 09, 2018

Carnivorous Plants. 3.9.18

I decided to try a few carnivorous plants.  I don't know anything about them.  I bought via mail order, 3 pitcher plants (Sarracenia hybrids) and one Venus Flytrap.  Based on the nursery information, these can be grown entirely outdoors in this Western WA climate.  These plants require bog-like conditions, so are grown in containers in a peat moss based mix, half submerged in rain water or distilled water - not tap water or well water, which are too high in minerals.  We'll see if they survive or grow.  These are tiny, in 4 inch pots now.  They should grow quite a bit larger, I think

The old book print is what the pitcher plants should look like when they mature.  I use old vintage images because the copyright should be expired.  If someone thinks otherwise, please let me know.

The Venus Flytraps (Dionaea muscipula) seem smaller.   I couldn't find a good public domain print so that will have to wait until it grows, for a better photo.

1 comment:

  1. Happy to see you back "on line". Sounds like an interesting thing to study. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete