Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Figs: Summer crop harvest

Over the past 2 weeks, all of the breba figs ripened. These are the "Summer crop". The number was very limited, although the trees are loaded for fall (main) crop.

Not pictured, I tasted the first 'ever' figs from the Lattarula and King trees. Each had a different flavor, both sweet, juicy, 'bright' flavors. Lattarula was yellow-ish with a tan center, and King was green with a red center.

Petite Negri, Black with dark red center, sweet and rich flavor.

The Petite negri tree is kept to 7 feet tall by pruning, although it is marketed as 'dwarf'.

"Vancouver", which was grown from a cutting from an unidentified tree, likely "Brunswick", bore 5 large juicy figs. Brown color, inside is golden.

Yum!




1 comment:

  1. Those figs look amazing! When I was a kid, my grandfather planted a fig tree for me, and I remember when it matured and how great the figs tasted...thanks for posting this. I brought back memories :). I wanted to share something really quick, since I'm now thinking about food. It's called Chef's Diet, and it's a program where they deliver fresh, low car/high protein foods straight to your door. If you don't have a lot of time to grocery shop, this is perfect in regards to eating right and staying healthy. I highly suggest it, if you want to visit http://www.mychefsdiet.com! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete