|Covered Tunnel Version 3. Step 1.|
|Covered Tunnel Version 3. Step 2.|
|Topset Onions Germinated|
|Radishes and Turnips Germinated|
I originally used polyethylene cover. That collected rain and collapsed. I replaced that with permeable row cover. That collected snow and collapsed.
Meanwhile, there were freezes into the 20s, and a blizzard.
When I removed the row cover, I saw the radish seeds and turnip seeds had germinated. A few spinach seeds germinated. Chinese mesclun germinated nicely. I did not see any cabbage plants. The topsets from Egyptian Walking Onions were about an inch tall. Those were unusually small sets I had in the garage.
I didn't weed this time although it could use weeding. One of the main challenges is vermin, including slugs, voles, rabbits, mice, and others. So far these seedlings were not eaten. Although maybe the cabbage seeds germinated and were eaten.
I watered with diluted fish emulsion as a vermin repellent. Then I applied a dusting of hot pepper / dried blood for the same reason. Then I added organic slug bait.
The mouse traps were not set off, but mouse traps in the garage had 3 of 4 traps with mice. So I moved those to the garage.
I went back to a polyethylene row cover. This time I used wire fencing as a support. That will prevent pooling of water / collapse. I should get a larger sheet so I can weigh down the sides with bricks. Wind might otherwise catch it. I changed to the polyethylene again because I think it will hold in more heat, and maybe it is more light permeable as well. It will stay more dry, which is probably good although it might wind up needing some watering.