Saturday, January 05, 2013

Grape pruning.

Each year at New Year's I prune the grapes.  It's early enough that the vines don't bleed, which they do if it's Spring.  This is the "before" for the arbor.
After.  I pruned most back to 3 or 4 nodes of new growth.  Removed some redundant vine.  Took more off Canadice, which I don't like as much flavor-wise.  Left more of Venus and Interlaken, which I like more.
Price grape, over gate.  Before.  Some vines grew more than 10 feet, into the lilac and beyond.
This is my favorite grape, a blue grapey flavored seeded grape.  It does not bear heavily.  I pruned back to 2 or 3 or 4 nodes.  I saved cuttings of this and Interlaken and Venus for the Battleground place.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:21 AM

    Very cool...I'm just starting vines this year...would love to see your pictures when the vines have grapes and leaves! Also, some fall pics when the leaves change color...has to be such an inviting place to walk through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!
    This year I fell off the deck while pruning, sliced my hand, and wrenched my back. So they are only half-pruned. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete