Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Saving A Grocery Store Mini-Rose. 21 Feb 2024

 This is a yellow throw-away rose, bought at grocery store for Valentine's Day.  It's a nice yellow rose.  The challenge with grocery store plants, is they are grown in a peat moss/ perlite medium, great for mass greenhouse blooming plant production, but not good for home growing.  It dries out super fast for me, and the plant goes through successive cycles of wilting and perking up, each time with more leaves becoming crispy dry and useless.

I'd like to keep it alive long enough to plant outside, probably in containers or in the garden.

Here's how it looked.  Pretty sad.


The remaining buds won't do anything.  I cut off the flowers, buds, and the worst of the dead leaves.


Then take out of container.  Not at all root-bound.  It was just that peat/perlite medium dries out so fast that the plant dries out.


This is actually five plants in one container.  I separated them.


My goal is to remove most of the old growing medium, and plant in the good stuff I use for everything else.  It's not necessary to wash off every bit, but I did soak them in rainwater and wash off most of the old medium.


Then I planted each into its individual container, in my usual potting soil.


I hope they grow.  I cut off some additional dry leaves and stems.  They look pretty good.  If buds start growing lower on the stems, I might prune back tower to make them more bushy.

I've never had good experiences growing roses indoors, so my goal is just to keep them growing and alive long enough to  transition to outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment