Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Pruning and Mulching Triple Crown Blackberry. Winterizing. 14 Nov 23.

 I pruned and cleaned up the main clump of Triple Crown blackberry.  I removed all of the spent canes from this year.  I had already tipped the new canes at about 5 feet high.  I left those in place.


The main weed problem is a wild clematis.  It vines around everything and sends long underground runners.  I pulled out and cut off all I could.  Then I applied a tree leaf carpet, about six inches or so thick.  I left last year's in place, they have mostly rotted away.  

That's most of the maintenance I do each year.  Maybe two hours today, maybe an hour of little things in the summer.  

I also cleaned up the newer clumps, the same way.  That area has two younger Triple Crown clumps and a dwarf variety, Ponca.  I didn't add the leaves yet, because some grass clumps need to be removed.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment