Tuesday, November 14, 2023

A Tasty Hot Sauce. 14 Nov 23

 I harvested the last of the ripe chili peppers.  They were a mixture of about 1/2 Serranos, and the rest about half Cayenne and half Thai with some Tabasco peppers too.

This is the recipe I used, mostly.  It's from the this website.

1 pound washed and sliced chili peppers (as above)

1/2 cup peeled garlic cloves, sliced into 1/8 inch thick slices.

1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar

1 cup apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup sugar

2 tsp fine sea salt.


I sliced the chili peppers to about 1/4 inch slices.  Then mixed in the salt, sugar, and garlic in a pyrex bowl.  Then I added the vinegars, stirred, and covered with plastic wrap.  The recipe called for letting the mixture sit in the fridge for one day.  I let it sit for two days, because I needed some rest the next day.

Then I transferred the mixture to a stainless steel pot, used the outdoor stove to bring to a boil, and simmered for 40 minutes with occasional stirring.

Then I carefully transferred to the big blender, put on the top, put a towel over that, and blended to make a smooth puree.

Here's how it looks.




 This hot sauce is great!  It's not blindingly hot, and the flavors are really complex.  Making it a puree of the entire peppers, really gave a great flavor.



No comments:

Post a Comment