Tuesday, December 04, 2018

Collecting scion. And a Graft failure. 12.4.18

 Today I collected some scion for late winter grafting.  In this case, it was Pristine apple.  Pristine is an excellent PRI (Purdue Rutgers Illinois) disease-resistant apple, early season, really delicious with a delightful flavor. 

Unfortunately, this branch basically fell off the tree this summer.  It managed to hang on by a small amount of bark on one side, apparently living bark.

Today I removed some scion to try
 grafting late winter, onto another tree.  It appears viable.   I wrap in foil, then place into zip-lock bag and refrigerate until some time in March.

 I will remove this branch some time this winter.  There isn't much holding it onto the tree.

From the wound, it's obvious that there was never much connection.

There will be some more scion to collect.  I also want to collect some from North Pole apple.
A graft failure.  "Pristine" apple.  Unknown Semidwarfing Rootstock.  12.4.18

1 comment:

  1. I grafted pear onto mountain ash once. It grew two years and then aborted, was never a good match. I also put shiro plum on Manchurian apricot seedling. That grew several years but had an ugly knot/knob at the graft which eventually failed

    ReplyDelete