Friday, July 13, 2018

Paw Paw Trees. Progress Report. 7.13.18

 These are the 3 largest of the Paw Paw trees.  Sunflower and NC-1 were planted summer 2012.   That year I also planted "Rebecca's Gold", which died for some reason.

Not pictured is "mango" which I think was planted 2013 0r 2014. 

Allegheny has not bloomed yet but looks pretty vigorous.  I think I planted it in 2015 or so.

NC-1 is the most vigorous but Sunflower set by far the most fruit this year, which is the first year any of them have had developing fruit this far along.  I hand pollinated between these trees.    Both Sunflower and NC-1 have several trees a foot or two from the main trunk, which would be the rootstock.  I might leave those in place, since they could be pollinators for the main tree.   Sunflower looked a bit frail last year, but seems to be better this year.

When I planted these trees, I was so concerned about reported fragility of the roots, I did not untangle them.  I don't know if I would take the same approach now.  It might be better to bare root them, gently, using a stream of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment