Friday, November 24, 2017

Moving a 16-year-old Fig Tree. 11.24.17


Recently Transplanted, 16-yr-old Petite Negri Fig Tree.  11.24.17
I moved this fig tree about 3 weeks ago, but  just now catching up on blog entries.  I moved this fig tree from my old suburban place, to the country place.  This is part of preparing the suburban place for sale, making a more conventional landscape - mostly lawn, with a few specimen plantings - while trying to keep the favorite, established varieties where they can grow for many more years.

This was a challenge.  This was one of the first fig cultivars that I grew.  The figs are delicious, dark red interior with black exterior.    The negative side is, there are not a lot of Summer (breba) figs, and the Fall (main crop) figs ripen so late that most wind up spoiled in the chill and rain.  I wonder if location change will help.  The old location was shaded on the South by the house, and down a slope, and shaded on the West by a majestic, old, ornamental cherry tree.  The new location is on the South side of the house, with no shade on West or South side, and near the top of a slope.  So it should be warmer and sunnier. 

The trunk was about 5 inches in diameter.  This variety doesn't grow as tall as most fig trees, and was sold as "dwarf".  But in its 16 years in that location, it still grew into a thick trunked, extensively rooted tree.  I dug as large a root ball as I could, with as much soil as I could handle, pruned back the biggest branches and some of the suckers, and still had to cut some large roots.  It may not survive.

Meanwhile, this old guy wound up with a hip strain from the digging.  I should act my age.  That's one reason for fewer entries during the past couple of weeks.

The tree still had some leaves, but most were ready to fall when I dug it up.  Moving it in the fall, there is less watering to worry about during the rainy winter.  I think it will have a chance to settle in, and spend the next year establishing new roots.  If some of the top dies, that's OK.  It would be nice if some of the top does live, since deer don't seem to bother branches about 5 feet.  The highest growth on this tree now, is about 8 feet.

There was also a sucker with roots.  I had already cut that off and planted in a container.  If the main tree doesn't survive the move, I can still grow a new one.

3 comments:

  1. One word pops into my head: "Gnarly"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your hip strain. Hope it gets better soon.
    I am also in the PNW (Seattle area) I got a Petit Negri tree this past year and my tree was loaded with main crop figs that did not ripen at all.
    I am disappointed to hear that there are hardly any breba figs on it either! We get less heat units than you up in Seattle so I might have to put this on the chopping block.
    Another very similar fig: the Negronne does quite well in our area. I got a nice harvest of both breba and main figs last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your hips is better and the fig survive the transplant. Its awful dry here is northern CA. Not a drop of rain since beginning of last month. I was putting off transplanting trees but now we are in the middle of winter it is a task that can't wait. I have a Negronne fig that's just a cutting I got from the scion exchange. It haven't take off yet so I have to wait to report its progress.

    ReplyDelete