Saturday, July 27, 2024

Fig Tree Propagation By Air Layering. 27 Jul 24.

 Almost exactly three months ago, I set up three air layers on White Marseilles / Lattarula, and two on Petite Aubique.  Images here.

A few weeks ago I checked some.  Didn't see any growth.

I checked again yesterday.  The first was packed with roots.


So I cut off all three.  Here are the other two.


Unwrapped.


I found that the roots were quite fragile where they connected to the main stem.  I soaked them in water for a few hours, then potted them.  This image is the  next morning (today).


The tallest actually had the smallest roots, by far.  The shortest WAS the tallest but was severely bent due to the branch being heavy, so I cut off the top.  So now it's the shortest.  It had the most roots.

They need support until the roots spread through the potting soil.  Also, they will dry out very fast until the roots spread a bit. So they are staying out of the sun, and on hot days will be in the garage.

As for the Petite Aubique, the first air layer had tiny roots, which broke off when I unwrapped it.   It's in a bucket of water for now,  I left the second one alone.

If they look OK in a week, I might give a dose of balanced fertilizer to promote new roots.  Just one dose, because I don't like to fertilize after July.

No comments:

Post a Comment