Friday, December 18, 2020

Three More Elmer Fudd Caps. 12.18.2020

 I learned some things making these.  It's nice making the headband inside the hat, using unused, bias-cut kitchen towel.  It's very stretchy and absorbent.  I used a temporary adhesive to hold it in place while I made the sweat band inside-out, out of the same flannel as the hats.  Then I turned it inside out and sewed into place.

Second, the original cap has bias tape covering the inside seams.  That's really difficult to sew.  What is easier is to construct two hats, about the same size, and sewing one inside-out inside the other as a liner.  It takes a little planning, but then there are no exposed seams.  For the first, I used zigzag stitch, which is fine but using one inside out in the other is more professional looking. 

The lower left cap is the first one that I made, which was all olive drab.  I made a mistake not putting in a sweat band, and it was goofy.  So, I constructed a new cap with a plaid cotton fabric, turned the hat inside out, and sewed it together.  Now the olive drab fabric is the liner, and the plaid is on the outside.  It looks better and is more comfortable.  This hat will keep its shape better than the flannel ones, but isn't as warm and soft.  The flannel caps are more mashable, soft, warm, and comfortable.  They are all machine washable, dryable.  By using a heavy interfacing instead of stiff plastic for the brim, they may not wear out as fast.



No comments:

Post a Comment