Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Chitting Potatoes. 2.20.19

Seed Potatoes, Kinnebec.  2.19.19

Seed Potato Labels.  2.19.19
These are the first batches of potatoes that I plan to plant.   I bought 2 packages at the hardware store, Kinnebec and Russian Banana.  Not having grown either variety before, it's nice to try.

I had lots of the smaller size russets in the garage over the winter, with 6 inch or longer sprouts.  I broke off the sprouts, and am chitting them in a sunny window so new, stouter sprouts with shorter interstems will grow.  
Russet Seed Potatoes from Garage, Overwinter.  2.19.19

More Russets from Garage.  2.19.19

Russian Banana Seed Potatoes.  2.19.19
I still have packages of Yukon Gold, Red Norland, and I think some fresh Idaho Russet seed potatoes.  That's enough.  I don't know if the overwintered ones will work, or produce as much.  I'll wait a couple of weeks before chitting the other batches.  Too much to plant, otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment