Thursday, November 01, 2018

Another Carnivorous Pitcher Plant. Sarracenia purpurea. Progress Report. 11.1.18

Sarracenia purpurea.  11.1.18
This plant turned out very nice.  I kept it in a dish of water on the deck all summer long, and continue to do so.  It might have dried out once or twice, but never bone dry.  It was in full sun.  On a couple of occasions, I poured miracle gro, 1/4 strength, into the pitchers, but that was all of the feeding it got.  The water used, was rain water from the roof.

Multiple new pitchers grew.  I left the old ones in place, even though they are becoming a bit unsightly, because they still seem functional.  By functional, I mean holding water, catching insects, and photosynthesizing. 

I'm interested to see if this plant will bloom next Spring.  I'm very happy with this plant, and this method of growing it.

1 comment:

  1. I have a pot of these growing outside my front door. In the spring it produces a tall stalk bearing a "flower" that looks like UFO.

    ReplyDelete