Thursday, November 23, 2017

Blackberries trellised, penned, and ready for winter. 11.23.17


These are the main blackberry bed now.  I built the trellises using logs salvaged from fallen trees, last year, and bamboo poles from our stand of bamboo.   I like the rigid cross beams, instead of wire or string, because rather then pulling inward, they provide some strength.

There is also a small fig tree in the blackberry garden.  I thought that tree was killed last winter, and just hadn't gotten around to removing it yet.  Smith fig.  If it doesn't bear next year, I might remove it anyway.  That's 5 years with less than 1 fig per year, so far.  I think Smith needs a hotter summer.  The origin is Louisiana.

The deer fencing is a recurring theme here.  Not much I can do about that, unless someone gets a permit to harvest the deer.  Might not be possible or safe in a neighborhood, however rural, with children and other people around.

The blackberry garden is completed for winter and beyond.  All I can think of as needed now is dormant pruning, and provide a bird net, next summer.

Prime Ark Freedom seems to have no sense of season.  It's still blooming.  If there is no true dormancy, that doesn't seem good for winter.  However, survival was sufficient last winter to provide a taste.  They are excellent, delicious, sweet, huge berries.  Since we are going into this winter with bigger, more established plants, they might survive better than they did last winter.

This is my first try with Arapaho and Triple Crown.  If Prime Ark Freedom isn't suitable, maybe they will be.

2 comments:

  1. You've got me thinking I should buy several blackberry plants next spring. I've been picking wild ones which really aren't that good. Just cheap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy, for you area you could check Indianaberry.com. They might know the cultivars best suited for your area. The modern improved types, especially erect, vigorous, thornless, with big sweet berries, such as "Prime Ark Freedom" or "Triple Crown", might be worth a try. I know I like them a lot.

      Delete