Saturday, February 13, 2016

Planting Sprouted Fingerling Potatoes. 2.13.16

Sprouted Fingerling Potatoes in Furrows.  2.13.16
I have been noting the fingerling potatoes in the garage are sprouted.  I grew them last year in raised containers - stacked concrete tree rings.

It's too early to plant, but they are already sprouted vigorously.  So I planted them.

These are in furrows, with the sprout barely covered with soil.

If they rot in the soil, that's OK.  If they grow, even better.

This is 1/2 of a 4x8 foot raised bed.  For 2 years, this bed grew garlic.  Last summer and fall I grew buckwheat to rebuild the soil.

The other half of this bed may also get potatoes.  I saw starts of Yukon Gold and some red potatoes at Fred Meyer, yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. I spent an hour de-sprouting last year's potatoes. I always grow way more than I can eat, and usually plant the little ones. I plan to add purple potatoes to my usuals (Yukon gold). As a matter of fact, tonight's supper will be potatoes on a bed of sauerkraut with sausage.

    ReplyDelete