Saturday, October 02, 2010

Planted some Tulips

I planted big bunches of tulips in the back yard, from big bags from a big box store. Each bag stated there were 60 mulbs, so 120 tulips. I plant them in bunches of 5 or 6. Instead of using a bulb planter, I dig with a shovel, it's faster and gives me a chance to till the soil a little. Also planted some bunches of these in the front yard:

Most of the tulips were "standard" varieties, but I like adding some more elaborate types as well. There were from a big box store.

These might be nice for some cut flowers. These were from a local nursery. I think the blends usually have a predominance of a few types, but it's like that box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.

Most tulips seems to "peter out" here. A few varieties persist and proliferate. Unclear why, but I tend to look at them as a type of annual, just to cheer me up by shouting "It's Spring, it's Spring". Daffodils seem to persist better and multiply, although some bunches of those sometimes die out as well. Both have their place, and I feel like I'm doing something for myself when I plant them in the fall.

There are so many bulbs under the ground here now, I can't dig without finding a few. No problem, I just replant them

No comments:

Post a Comment