Tuesday, September 11, 2007

After a hiatus

It's been a difficult summer. Work hours are long and the work is the most intense ever. Coming home, I'm often too exhausted to do more than water 'essentials' about every other night on hot days, less often if cooler. No time for more significant garden projects. I have also tried to get the bathroom project finished, but only about 1 day every other weekend.

What has happened in the garden?

1. Most of the plants continue to survive. The grapes (Venus here) are producing like crazy now. I've about finished off Interlaken and Venus, and Price is done. Price didnt have many anyway, but they are the most 'grapy', most flavorful and largest. They do have seeds, but I think I even like that.

2. Of course, the hummingbirds dont take much attention, and they have been the big treat of the summer. I read that they eat the nectar for energy, but get all of their protein from insects. No wonder this yard is doing so well wtihout insecticides.

3. Tomatoes are producing well now. I eat at least one large tomato daily, sometimes more. Principe Borghese makes for great 'tomato raisons' - slice in have and leave in the dehydrator for about 24 hours.



4. Figs have not done much yet. The containerized figs are barely limping by. Vancouver / Brunswick has lots of large figs and Petite Negri has many many small ones. Hardy Chicage has a few, I ate one yesterday - these are small, but so is the tree. next year?
5. Raspberries are bearing well. I think I do like the Fallgold better, and my just ust that one next year.
6. Roses are surviving, not much disease, and most bloom a little all summer. Nothing dramatic.
7. Brugmansia has had a few flowers but not as much as last year. Maybe the container is too small. It gets daily waterings.
8. Ning's Changchun beans actually did quite well. we are still getting more than we can eat.
9. Garlic did very well. It's almost time to plant again.
10. Cacti did well this year. A few blossoms as noted earlier. Most have grown guite a lot.
All for now. I dont know how to move back closer to work/life balance (I've NEVER been in balance) but seriously need to strive for it, lose the 20 "stress pounds" that piled on, and figure out how to find time and energy to bike again. Can I do it? Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment