Friday, June 23, 2006

Main crop figs starting to develop: Brunswick


Posted by Picasa It's not certain yet if this is a Brunswick (= Magnolia = Dalmatian = Madonna) but it matches most of the descriptions. Like other varieties, it is grown around the US and in Europe - here is a photo of a Brunswick fig in France - it does look like this. In 1860 Brunswick figs apparently looked like this (page down to the drawing).

I like this fig. It is the first one that I grew from a cutting. Last year there were several figs on this tree, and they were juicy and sweet, with a good 'fig' flavor.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:33 PM

    I can tell you that by the leaf photo it's not a Brunswick Fig. Check my URL and you'll see what I'm talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually this photo wasn't the best representation of this tree's leaves. There are others on this blog that are better. Still, because I'm not 100% certain, I'm not claiming this is Brunswick, but giving it a temporary name of "Vancouver" since that's where it was found.

    ReplyDelete